Skip to Main Content

University Signs and Symbols

From the Owls to the All-in-C: 75 years of signs and symbols at UNC Charlotte

CCUNC/ Charlotte College (1946- 1965)

Early Charlotte College seal, c. 1950s

Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (CCUNC) was founded on September 23, 1946 as one of 14 evening colleges opened to serve veterans following World War II. In 1949, North Carolina closed the state centers, but Bonnie Cone and other local supporters fought to keep the institution from closing. It became Charlotte College that same year, and is the origin of our nickname the 49ers.

Image (left): Charlotte College Christmas Card, 1962. (UA0034 Charlotte College Records)

 

 

This sign was located outside of the Central High building, home to CCUNC and CC. The school seal briefly featured the year 1946 to mark the date of the institution’s founding. It was later changed to 1949 to reflect the creation of Charlotte College.

 

When CCUNC opened in 1946 it shared space with Central High School on Elizabeth Avenue and could only offer classes in the evening. For this reason, students aptly chose the Owls as the school’s first mascot.

 Charlotte College students on Central High sign, with snowballs,1955Charlotte College owl from The Si Si yearbook, 1956

Image (above left): Charlotte College students on Central High sign, 1955 (UA0065 Charlotte College Photos, 1950-1970)

Image (above right): Charlotte College owl (The Si Si [yearbook], 1956)

 

In the early 1960s the Charlotte College student council sold blazers featuring the school's crest. This one is displayed in the Harris Alumni Center.

Charlotte College blazer, c.1960s. Photo by Wade Bruton. Sold to students in a sale sponsored by Student Council in 1961.CCUNC's Owls vs Davidson JV football

Image (above left): Charlotte College blazer, c. 1960s (photo by Wade Bruton) [sold to students in a sale sponsored by Student Council in 1961]

Image (above right): Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina vs. Davidson College football program, 1947 (UA0033 Charlotte College Center Records)