The Manuscript Collections consist primarily of unpublished documents such as literary manuscripts, letters, diaries, cartoons, photographs, architectural drawings, and organizational, church and governmental records. Also included are some printed material, microforms, tape recordings, films and other items received as part of the manuscript collections.
The major emphasis of the Manuscript Collections is on North and South Carolina, with particular attention to the Charlotte/Mecklenburg area.
While using manuscript collections, please help us preserve our materials by following a few rules:
1. Only use pencil when using Special Collections materials.
2. Use only one folder at a time.
3. Handle documents with care by turning pages in folders as if you were turning the pages of a book.
4. Keep the documents in the same order.
5. Do not place personal items such as paper/notes books on top of Special Collections materials when taking notes.